Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 September 2010

Backpacking tales

I left the land of my birth when I was just 19 yrs old. It was a giant step, but something I had been longing to do, deep within me for many years. I remember when I finally decided to "go for it". It was after a little talk session with a rather cute 18 year old girl, whom I had the hots for. She was about to embark on a small European tour, followed with a trip to the middle east and then India. " Do you want to come with me?" she asked.... she didn't need to ask again. !!

The following day was Saturday, we went into town to buy some stuff, sleeping bag for me, tent for us, gas stove and gas etc etc, the regular camping gear. We also went and bought ourselves train tickets and boat tickets..... first stop Amsterdam. 

My travel companion had some old friends who lived in the north of Holland, she had arranged to meet them for a few days and I was to stay in Amsterdam all alone... Oh my, what was I to do?? I didn't know anything about travelling or backpacking or anything related to travels at all....

I found myself in the red light district of Amsterdam, a young virile man, 19 years old. 

After wandering around for quite some time, I found a guest house, kind of a hotel for the backpacking population of Holland. In no time I had dropped my backpack on my alloted bed, and was out wandering the mean, but clean dirty streets of Amsterdam. In the Red light district. Well, blow me over, I could not believe my eyes. There I was a young and very impressionable 19 yr old, wandering around with the Red light districts windows, on my left, on my right, and straight ahead. !! For me I was in pussy heaven. The girls were absolute stunners. So so beautiful, blonde and brunettes, redheads and well every colour of hair out there. 

I never went in, to the girls. I just walked and walked and walked, obviously just admiring the sights. 

After a few hours of window shopping, I decided to go back to my hotel, for a nice cold beer. I got served I think Heinekan, which I proceeded to drink whilst eyeing the crowd. There was a pool table in the rear of the locale, I went over and met a guy who was playing. After finding out the rules of the table, and this chaps own rules, I decided to play against him. I remember him taking out some Rizzla papers and he started building a joint on the pool table, whilst it was my shot..... We finished the game and played some more, taking alternate tokes of the weed of wonder, after a while, I wanted to just sit and drink my beer, watch some MTV and listen to the music...... oh how wrong was I. The song playing was.... sowing the seeds of love, tears for fears I do believe, well, for those who have had a smoke of the ancient wonder, time seems to stand still. I think to me that song went on for a good 2 hours. I tried getting up to go to bed so many times, but was utterly unable to. 

After many hours, I think, I managed to get a grip of myself and go to bed. Which I found, just where I had left it, 3 floors up through the door on the right. I slept so good that night, and the next morning awoke , revitalized and full of energy. I went out to the window girls again, just to see how good they actually did look, they were still so beautiful for me then as the night before..... but I never did go in.

No comments:

Post a Comment